Los Angeles Security Company Shares 2024 Security Requirements for Cannabis Businesses in California
The security requirements for cannabis businesses in California in 2024 emphasize the importance of advanced surveillance and alarm systems. These systems are designed to ensure the safety and security of these businesses, which are considered high-risk due to the nature of their products. Here’s a comprehensive look at the key requirements.
Alarm System Requirements
For cannabis businesses in California, the implementation of a professionally monitored burglar alarm system is mandatory. The specifics include:
- Professional Installation and Monitoring: The alarm system must be installed, maintained, and monitored by a professional alarm company.
- Submission of Alarm Operating Procedures: Businesses need to submit detailed alarm operating procedures to the Department of Cannabis Control (DCC). This includes information on how the alarm system will be operated and details about the contract with the alarm company.
- Prompt Response Capability: The alarm system should be capable of eliciting an immediate response from the monitoring company in case of any breach or unauthorized entry.
Live Proactive Video Monitoring
Cannabis businesses in California are also required to have a comprehensive video surveillance system. Key aspects of this system include:
- High-Resolution Cameras: The minimum resolution for surveillance cameras is 1280 x 720 pixels, ensuring clear image quality.
- 24/7 Operation: Cameras must operate round the clock and cover all critical areas, including points of entry and exit, storage areas, and places where cannabis goods are handled.
- Storage and Accessibility of Footage: Surveillance footage must be stored for at least 90 days and should be readily accessible to the California Bureau of Cannabis Control upon request.
- Coverage of All Vital Areas: The surveillance system must cover all restricted areas, points of sale, storage rooms, and areas where transactions occur.
- Timestamps and Clarity: All surveillance footage must include timestamps and be clear enough to identify individuals and activities within the premises.
Additional Security Measures
Apart from these systems, cannabis businesses must also focus on:
- Access Control: Implementing robust access control systems to restrict and monitor entry into sensitive areas.
- Employee Identification: Ensuring all employees wear badges with essential details for easy identification.
- Physical Security: Utilizing commercial-grade locks for all entrances and restricted areas.
Legal and Regulatory Compliance
It’s crucial for cannabis businesses to stay updated with the latest regulations and statutes, including the Medicinal and Adult Use Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (MAUCRSA). This act outlines the framework for licensing, oversight, and enforcement related to cannabis businesses.
Compliance with these security requirements is not just a legal obligation but also a critical measure to ensure the safety and integrity of cannabis businesses in California. By adhering to these requirements, businesses can protect themselves against theft, unauthorized access, and other security risks.
For detailed guidelines and updates on the regulations, businesses should refer to the Department of Cannabis Control’s official website and other state-provided resources.
Commercial Security for Cannabis Businesses in LA
For businesses in Southern California, working with the right security provider matters. Locally owned and operated, Source 2 Security is an ideal choice for enhancing the safety and security of your business. With over 25 years of industry expertise, Source 2 Security is Southern California’s trusted commercial security technology provider. A highly experienced team of security technology professionals helps protect your business, employees, customers, and assets with the latest customizable and scalable security and automation solutions. For more information, call 866-989-0994.